Waking up in the Ryokan was like waking up in a house full of my extended family. Everyone is already awake and engaged in conversation. But hearing all the “Arigatos” and “Hais” is strangely comforting to me. We came to the Ryokan expecting the staff to speak no english as the website warned. The host knew a sufficient amount having dealt with foreign travelers for a long time. She was eager to welcome us in as if we'd been there before.After one entire day of traveling and a good night’s rest it's time to explore. I know never to underestimate the amount of walking on a trip. I used to complain when my parents suggested walking anywhere even remotely far but now I know it is the way to get to some of the best places. Today we took the subway to Shijo to find the Gion district.

We couldn't reist the urge to try McDonalds while we were there so I had some kind of shrimp burger. It was good. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the Geishas but I was not lucky. It seemed the rain forced most people inside. We got to walk around the Yosaka Shrine which was beautiful. There were giant thick ropes attached to bells that people pulled on before they prayed. Although I wish I had a video camera to capture the moment, I feel as if I would have been impeding on something sacred. I felt like all I could hear was the rain around the shrine. A whisper here and there, but mostly a respectful stillness.

Our next stop was Fushimi-Inari to see the path full of Torii gates, one after the other. It was amazing to see. Preservation of tradition is so rare where I come from.

(Okay, I must make a side note regarding vending machines. Before you visit Japan, they will tell you that vending machines are everywhere. NOT a lie. Hell will freeze over before anyone in Japan dies of thirst. They are in alleys, train stations, in neighborhoods, everywhere you turn. And this makes me happy!)

We made our way back to the subway for a fun little back and forth ride (and by this I mean we were lost and we were too stubborn to ask for help) til we finally made it back to Kyoto.
I used the floor toilet for the first time at one of our stops. If you think on a sanitary level, it makes a lot of sense. The toilets back at our Ryokan were heated western style so we were spoiled in that area. If you want to call it that.

On our walk back to Daiya Inn, we stopped at a little restaurant where you only eat bar style. This isn't rare in Japan. Most restaurants seem to be set up in a no nonsense style. You walk in, order your food, eat it and leave. There was this crazy contraption that covered your umbrella with plastic when you stuck it in. It was the only one I saw. Everyone had enough sense to leave their umbrellas outside in holders when they went indoors. We ended up getting our meal two for one. This may have been a result of misunderstanding, but we couldn't speak enough Japanese to let them know they under charged us and they couldn't speak enough english to let us know whether they were just being nice or made a mistake! (If there is only one thing you learn to say in Japanese before you go to Japan, learn to say thank you properly. You will find that you cannot say it enough and you'll want to say more but it will suffice.)After our first day of walking, my feet were killing me. But it couldn't have been more worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment