|  |
I was in awe...the streets are clean and trash cans aren't that easy to come by. The sidewalks and alleys abound with vending machines that have containers nearby to dispose of your bottle, can, or other trash separately. I suspect mainly because it's not considered polite to walk while eating and drinking. I surprisingly didn't have a problem with this since it gave a welcome break to our seemingly never ending walks. Their transportation system makes driving seem less desirable. It's convenient but not for the lazy because you certainly pay your dues with the amount of walking from destination to destination. Every train was on time to the minute and each car number was indicated on the platform so you could stand in just the right spot for the doors to open in front of you. In the morning and evening rush hour times, there are cars designated only for ladies to avoid any kind of harassment issues. On every train we boarded, there was not one person who spoke loudly or at all into their cell phones for the duration of the trip. Now that I think about, there wasn't a lot of interaction going on at all. I saw plenty of texting though. More than once I caught glimpses of schoolboys playing PSPs in groups, young and old businessmen with crossed legs and folded newspapers, young women falling asleep resting their heads against the windows, schoolgirls giggling, and always someone wearing the latest shocking trend. I suspect seeing several schools of fish swim in opposite directions of each other is not unlike watching the crowd during rush hour at the train stations. I was afraid to stop in the middle of it all, as if I would throw the world off its axis. You could tell they've learned to move around obstacles though. They know where they're going and they get there well. It's almost as if they see nothing else but their destination. |
No comments:
Post a Comment