Thursday, May 22, 2008

Japan - April 23, 2008 - Day 7

We slept in, if that's what you want to call it. We still made it to our destination before noon. With all the walking, transferring and riding, that's pretty good time. We dedicated today to shopping for souvenirs more or less. It was an easy ride to Shibuya on the Yamanote line (it goes in a literal circle). We found tower records there and more of those claw machines rigged by the devil. The vending machines seriously never cease to amaze me. I got some clove cigarettes that came with ashtrays. It was pretty exciting! Next we hopped onto JR for Harajuku once more. The streets weren't too crowded this time so we could actually move around. We had to revisit the 100 Yen shop once more to browse the quality on the shelves that we don't see in dollar stores at home. Today was souvenir cramming day. Luckily, it's easy here. We also got to the oriental bazaar and bought other gifts along with some Yukatas. Thank God those things are so comfortable. I thought I might as well get a couple for my parents as well. Next store was named Kiddy Land although I don't think it was properly named as there are toys I wouldn't want my kid playing with. Our feet are starting to give up on us and I've gotten sick so it's a good thing we leave tomorrow. I'm ready to embrace the familiar again, but not ready to face reality of routine. One luxury that vacations always provide is the promise of something new around every corner. This place has not ceased to amazing me since I stepped foot onto a crowded public transportation platform. There is something always waiting to ingrain itself into my memory everywhere I turn. This trip has been long awaited and sorely needed. I'm not ready to leave the unknown yet because there is so much I want to learn about this culture. So much frustration has gone into the language barrier and I wish I could communicate the way they do. You can tell most Japanese people will avoid it if they can. I guess we're all somewhat afraid to step out of our element sometimes. This is their home though, why should they have to speak my language! I wish it were easier sometimes.

No comments: