We left Kyoto this morning. Now we are on our way to Tokyo. I feel like we didn't get enough of the traditional experience but I already know I'll be back to Japan someday. There is too much of this world to see. Too much I won't get to see. Maybe I'm afraid to get old because I don't feel there is enough time to do everything I want.
We're in Tokyo now and we had to wait 2 hours to actually check into our hotel. The room is tiny. You have to step up to get to the bathroom but it's nice not to have to share a bathroom at all. Okay, things here are small, but it is absolutely perfect for us. I knew I was short for something! If I were 40 lbs lighter I would fit in perfectly. Our hotel is in Ikebukuro, one of Tokyo's many districts. Valerie and I found an internet cafe of sorts (no internet cafe I've ever been to!) We spent 280 Yen each for 45 minutes of internet time. There are shelves upon shelves of books (mostly manga from what I could see) and numerous anime you can watch. There are showers and bathrooms if you're in it for the long haul. Our computer screens were about 19" at least and the chairs were incredibly comfortable. For a certain rate, you could even rent a private cubicle with a computer and some cushions. Menus were placed right by the computer with phones to order what you wanted. Free drinks and soup were available as well. I could see how people could spend hours there. Another thing not to be missed is the Pachinko buildings. Kind of like a casino but entirely pachinko. If we get brave we may try it soon. Val and I aren't here on a busy tourist season so I've felt a lot as if we are the only foreigners. Sometimes I wish I belonged here - understood their language. They are so polite. I wish I could communicate to them how much I appreciate it.
We walked around a bit and found a 100 Yen and a 99 Yen store. I will be spending a lot of money there soon. We just ate the best fried chicken from a 24 hour takeout place and it was perfect.
All the meals we've eaten come with chopsticks and a toothpick tucked away into the chopstick package.
There is some kind of fascination with the Kit Kat candy bar. They are everywhere and in flavors I never knew existed for Kit Kats.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment